08 November 2010

An example of just how unmotivated I can be

About 15 years ago, I was in a severe car accident in which I was immobilized, pulled from my dad's SUV and laid on the side of the icy freeway. At that very moment, no one knew the extent of my injuries. Later we would learn that I had broken my shoulder blade. Breaking one's shoulder blade probably seems like no big deal in the grand scheme of all things (I could have actually broken my spine), but in the scheme of today and this past weekend, it's a motherfucking nightmare.

As a wholly relevant aside, I will also point out that my parents and my parents' dog were in the SUV too and they were also injured (though not hospitalized like me). If I had the pictures handy, I would post them here. It was an ugly, mangled mess. We all quite obviously were lucky to survive. But we did and now we laugh about how my dad couldn't stop saying "Do you know what happened? What happened? I don't know what happened..."

Now, back to the motherfucking nightmare part:

Whenever the weather decides to embrace the Pacific Northwest chill, I wonder when I should start adding more layers of clothes. Layers are the hallmark of a good Seattle wardrobe for just about everyone--and for me, it is the difference between a massive back spasm and being able to stand upright. If there's a chill in the air during the short walk home from work, if I suddenly grasp whatever I'm wearing a little tighter around me, the muscles in my back will for sure soon twist and turn themselves into an unrecognizable mass of tight things. I won't be able to stop it.

I could actually exercise. Work out. Strength train. Whatever you want to call it. Any of those things make my back and muscles less fragile.

I don't do that. My "exercise" consists of walking to and from work. Patrick bought me a Wii Fit for my birthday a couple of months ago. If there was a hint in that gift, I failed to take it. Sometimes, however, I do think it's hysterical to do the hula hoop workout (with no actual hula hoop) in the evenings, near the window.

The show lasts 6 minutes.

My next post will have pictures of something good. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment