21 January 2010

Engaged!

We were snowed in. Patrick's family wasn't coming for Christmas day, so the usual course of Christmas day business was put on hold. Not in small part because of the kid. A 14 month-old requires naps. In multiples.

Stockings "opened," bacon eaten, coffee drunk...at about 3 pm Christmas gifts still hadn't been distributed or opened. The kid and Patrick's dad were napping (again). So I suggested that we take a nap too.

In retrospect, I now recall the frustration in Patrick's voice and body language.

But suddenly the dad and the kid were awake. So began the gift opening!

I got a coat from Patrick. I gave him a fedora, a wallet and a pair of nice black leather gloves.

Other things were exchanged. I don't really remember what at this point.

The last gift was for me.

I unwrapped, unknowingly, the box Patrick had prepared...

As I opened the lid, a sheet of tissue paper rose and revealed a ring box. I gasped and looked at Patrick. "Read the caaaaarrrrrrdddd fiiiirrrrrssssttttt...!"

As tears welled in my eyes, I restrained myself and calmly opened the envelope. The 14 month-old had become attached to me and was now concerned that I was crying. His parents forcefully restrained him. I would later find out that his mother, Laney, Patrick's sister was heard to have said: What's he doing? Is he doing what I think he's doing? Oh, my god! And her husband, Roland, was heard to have answered: Shhhh...! He's DOING IT!

A plain card with the fortune from that fortune cookie from Buddha Ruksa just three weeks earlier:

"You or a close friend will be happily married."

And then he spoke. "Now that you've met my family, I'm hoping you want to become a part of it. Officially. Tracey, will you marry me?"

WILL YOU MARRY ME?

I nodded, cried, said yes. Or said yes, nodded and cried. Or cried, said yes and nodded.

And so it began.

No comments:

Post a Comment